Friday 8 July 2011

A Funny Thing happened on the Way to the Bog.

Just past the last house on the bog road we parked the car and got out for a walk. My wife and daughter marched on ahead of me in seven league mode and I dawdled behind soon losing sight of them on the twisty road. The boreen was only wide enough for a single car and an alert pedestrian. Who's rushing? The steep banks are thick with heather, ferns, woodbine, hazel and dusky ringlets abound like flying shadows. Hanging on a tall fern what do I see only a rosary beads of an unusual construction, made with brown nylon cord with knots around the Our Fathers and the Hail Marys loose together. Somebody must have dropped this as they were out walking I thought. It looks a few beads short. To check I held it up and was counting the beads when I suddenly became aware of the shadow of a car behind me. (I am a little deaf) Turning around still holding the beads up, I saw the couple in the car smiling in a good humoured way as though they had caught me in a Franciscan moment.

Later we had a good laugh about this. I said:
- I missed my opportunity to give them a blessing, wearing a black top I looked like a priest at home on holidays from the missions in Africa or the Far East, a bit mad.

No comments: